Zyczynski Research Group
Halina Zyczynski, MD
The mission of the Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery is to advance the quality of life of women with pelvic floor disorders through comprehensive clinical care, education and research into prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Our research program portfolio includes randomized clinical trials, outcomes studies after surgical interventions, prospective studies of the psychosocial impact of prolapse and incontinence and translational laboratory projects (animal model and biomechanical). The focus includes prevention, diagnosis and treatment of childbirth trauma, pelvic organ prolapse, and urinary and fecal incontinence. We are contributing members of two National Institutes of Health clinical trails networks: The Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network (UITN) and the Pelvic Floor Disorders Network (PFDN).
The translational research laboratory has focused on defining the biomechanical behavior of graft materials, optimizing compatibility with the material properties of human tissue and improving host tolerance. Our division is one of the only translational research programs in the country using the primate model to focus on this pressing clinical issue.
Lori Ellison, BS, Research Assistant
Mathematics, University of Pittsburgh
Specialist, database management
Rennique Ellison, BS, Senior Research Assistant
Biology, Pennsylvania State University
Currently obtaining an additional degree in registered nursing
Judy Gruss, RN, Manager of Clinical Research
Karen Mislanovich, RN, Clinical Research Coordinator
Keisha Jones, MD
Tufts University, Boston, MA
Mariana Alperin, MD
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA
James Daucher, MD
Assistant Professor, Director of Clinical Research
Howard University, Washington DC
Jerry Lowder, MD
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Nancy Howden, MD
Clinical Faculty, Private Practice
University of North Carolina, Ashville, NC
Laura Burrows, MD
Pam Moalli, PhD, MD
1998 – 2001
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Susan Capelle, MD
Morgantown, West Virginia
- Brubaker L, Chiang S, Zyczynski H, Norton P, Kalinoski DL, Stoddard A, Kusek J, Steers W, & Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network. The impact of stress incontinence surgery on female sexual function. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 200(5):562.e1-7, May 2009.
- Richter HE, Burgio KL, Brubaker L, Nygaard IE, Ye W, Weidner A, Bradley CS, Handa, VL, Borello-France D, Goode PS, Zyczynski H, Lukacz ES, Schaffer J, Barber M, Meikle S, & Spino C. Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. Continence pessary compared with behavioral therapy or combined therapy for stress incontinence: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol, 115(3):609-17, Mar. 2010.
- Bradley CS, Kenton KS, Richter HE, Gao X, Zyczynski HM, et al. Obesity and outcomes after sacrocolpopexy. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 199(6):690.e1-8, Dec. 2008.
- Cundiff GW, Varner E, Visco AG, Zyczynski HM, et al. Risk factors for mesh/suture erosion following sacral colpopexy. Am J Obstet Gynecol, 199(6):688.e1-5, Dec. 2008.
- Fitzgerald MP, Richter HE, Bradley CS, Ye W, Visco AC, Cundiff GW, Zyczynski HM, et al. Pelvic support, pelvic symptoms, and patient satisfaction after colpocleisis. Int Urogynecol J, 19(12):1603-9, Dec. 2008.
- Alperin M, Sutkin G, Ellison R, Meyn L, Moalli P, & Zyczynski H. Perioperative outcomes of the Prolift pelvic floor repair systems following introduction to a urogynecology teaching service. Int Urogynecol J, 19(12):1617-22, Dec. 2008.
- Richter HE, Goode PS, Brubaker L, Zyczynski H, et al. Two-year outcomes after surgery for stress urinary incontinence in older compared with younger women. Obstet Gynecol, 112(3):621-9, Sep. 2008.
- Burgio KL, Kraus SR, Menefee S, Borello-France D, Corton M, Johnson HW, Mallett V, Richter HE, Rozanski T, Albo M, Zyczynski HM, et al. Behavioral therapy to enable women with urge incontinence to discontinue drug treatment: a randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine, 149(3):161-9, Aug. 5, 2008.
- Nager CW, Fitzgerald MP, Kraus SR, Chai TC, Zyczynski H, Sirls Larry, Lemack GE, Lloyd LK, Litman HJ, Stoddard AM, Baker J, & Steers W. Urinary Incontinence Treatment Network. Urodynamic measures do not predict stress continence outcomes after surgery for stress urinary incontinence in selected women. J Urology, 179(4):1470-4, Apr. 2008.
- Handa VL, Zyczynski HM, Burgio KL, Fitzgerald MP, Borello-France D, Janz NK, Fine PM, Whitehead W, Brown MB, & Weber AM. Pelvic Floor Disorders Network. The impact of fecal and urinary incontinence on quality of life 6 months after childbirth. Am J Obstet Gynecol,197(6):636.e1-6, Dec. 2007.
Publications on PubMed
International Urogynecologic Association
International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
National Association for Continence
National Institutes of Health
National Women’s Health Resource Center
The Pelvic Floor Disorders Network
Simon Foundation for Continence
- 07-23-2012 - Video: Polypropylene mesh: Cutting through the clutter
- 07-25-2011 - Doctors concerned over FDA mesh warnings
- 05-31-2011 - April/May Event Wrap Up
- 06-29-2010 - Zyczynski Collaborates on Largest Midurethral Sling Trial in U.S.
- 10-15-2008 - Tips for Taming an Overactive Bladder
- 07-03-2008 - Halina Zyczynski, MD and Team Receive NIH Award