Simhan Research Group
Hyagriv Simhan, MD, MS
Our work on preterm birth is funded through the National Institutes of Health (NICHD, NIAID) We focus on the following areas of preterm birth research:
- Understanding how maternal nutritional status influences the immune system and the risk of preterm birth
- Exploring the complex genetics and heritability of preterm birth
- Understanding normal and abnormal cervical biology, structure and function
- Exploring the biology and effectiveness of progesterone in preventing preterm birth
- Maternal serum folate species in early pregnancy and risk of preterm birth. Bodnar LM, Himes KP, Venkataramanan R, Chen JY, Evans RW, Meyer JL, Simhan HN. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010 Oct;92(4):864-71. Epub 2010 Aug 25.
- Mid-trimester cervical inflammatory milieu and sonographic cervical length. Kalan AM, Simhan HN.
- Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010 Aug;203(2):126.e1-5. Epub 2010 May 8. PMID: 20451891 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Maternal vitamin D deficiency is associated with bacterial vaginosis in the first trimester of pregnancy.
- Bodnar LM, Krohn MA, Simhan HN. J Nutr. 2009 Jun;139(6):1157-61. Epub 2009 Apr 8. PMID: 19357214 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- First-trimester cervical inflammatory milieu and subsequent early preterm birth. Simhan HN, Krohn MA.
- Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Apr;200(4):377.e1-4. Epub 2009 Feb 6. PMID: 19200941 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Genetic regulation of cervical antiinflammatory cytokine concentrations during pregnancy. Simhan HN, Ryckman KK, Williams SM, Krohn MA. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Aug;199(2):163.e1-163.e11. PMID: 18674658 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- 01-09-2013 - Low Vitamin D Levels Early in Pregnancy Associated with Lower Birth Weights, Pitt Research Finds
- 07-18-2011 - Fun event to help fight the #1 killer of newborns - prematurity
- 06-17-2010 - Heavy Labor: Obesity and Pregnancy are a Dangerous Mix
- 04-26-2010 - Safe Weight Gain for Heavier Moms-To-Be Depends on Level of Obesity
- 01-25-2010 - The Thinkers: Magee-Womens Doctor Fighting War on Prematurity
- 10-20-2009 - Surprising Health Clues From Your Pregnancy
- 05-26-2009 - Low Levels of Vitamin D Linked to Common Vaginal Infection in Pregnant Women
- 07-25-2008 - 2008 Research Presentations by Our College Interns
- 09-10-2007 - Risk of Common Vaginal Infection Linked to Preterm Birth Appears Higher for African-Americans
- 02-27-2007 - Vitamin D Deficiency Widespread During Pregnancy
- 02-05-2007 - Risk of Preterm Birth Appears to Vary by Season
- 12-12-2006 - MWRI Probes Role of Genetics, Nutrition, Race in Preterm Birth
- 11-28-2006 - Role of Genetics, Nutrition, and Race in Preterm Birth Probed